It’s that time of year when people realise their frying pans are far too heavy, their flipping skills are poor and Nutella is actually very sickly. If you’re anything like me with absolutely no pancake flipping skills what-so-ever then you might appreciate this recipe for some thicker American-style pancakes.
These completely gluten free pancakes have the texture of a fluffy Victoria Sponge cake. The coconut sugar adds a subtle sweet flavour but if you’re making savoury ones, you can leave this out.
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 tbsp gluten free oats, ground (I used Deliciously Alchemy)
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (I used The Groovy Food Company)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (I used Lucy Bee)
- Dash of milk
- Whisk the egg in bowl and combine with the mashed banana.
- Mix the oats, coconut sugar and baking powder in a bowl and add to the wet mixture. Stir until well combined (you could also place in a blender to make sure you remove all the lumps!). If the mix is too thick, add some milk until it is of the desired consistency.
- Place a frying pan on the hob over a medium heat and wait for the coconut oil to melt.
- Pour about 1/4 of the mix slowly into the centre and cook for 1-2 minutes before flipping over (carefully!). Repeat until all the mix is used.
- STACK, TOP AND DEMOLISH!!!