I’ve been experimenting some more with two of my favourite ingredients; dates and almonds. This date and almond loaf is so moist and makes the perfect breakfast when slathered in almond butter. It also makes a great dessert. The dates come through slightly sticky to compliment the crunch of the almonds. The smell of this bake in the oven will leave you drooling…
What you’ll need:
- 100g Indigo Herbs Flaked Almonds
- 180g Indigo Herbs Coconut Sugar
- 60g Indigo Herbs Coconut Oil
- 60g Soft Dairy-Free Margarine
- 190ml Diary-Free Greek Yoghurt
- 2 eggs
- 240g Indigo Herbs Brown Rice Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Mixed Spices
- 180g Indigo Herbs Chopped Dates
What you need to do:
- Grease a 20cm by 10cm loaf tin and heat the oven to 180oC.
- Place almonds on a baking tray and toast until brown – this takes about 4 minutes. Leave these to cool whilst you make the loaf itself.
- Beat the sugar, oil and margarine together in bowl until light and fluffy (note that it will not go as light as normal bakes as the coconut sugar has a naturally dark colour).
- Beat in the eggs and yoghurt before sifting in the flour, baking powder and mixed spices.
- Gently stir in the chopped dates and toasted almonds, being sure to leave some of the almonds for the top after baking.
- Place in the baking tin and bake for 40-50 minutes. The mix is done when you can test with a skewer that comes out clean.
- Enjoy with almond butter and eat within 5 days.