It’s Coeliac Awareness Week over here in the UK and what better way thank start it off with a bit of a laugh. Now don’t get me wrong, having Coeliac disease or following a gluten-free diet is very serious and not a laughing matter, but instead of looking at the negatives (like not being able to eat your best friends’ wheat-based wedding cake), let’s focus on the positives.
Here are 10 things that only Coeliacs/GF Diet followers will understand.
- That look you get when you open your bag and out pours enough gluten free snacks to sink a battleship…
- …and then having to explain the contents of each individual snack to your friends as the brands are unheard of to the majority of the population.
- That moment of excitement when your favourite restaurant brings out a new gluten-free menu…
- …but the at the bottom in size -2 font it says “gluten-free but not suitable for coeliacs”…(why have a gluten-free menu that isn’t gluten-free?!)…
- …before then having to ask the waiter what dishes can be made coeliac-friendly because the gluten-free menu contains gluten(?!?!).
- The face of disgust you give your tub of margarine when you open it to discover streaks of bread crumbs.
- …and when you finally manage to scrape some crumb-free marge out of the tub, tearing your bread to shreds because the lack of gluten gives it the consistency of wood shavings.
- Turning down gluten-containing food offered by a friend before they say “oh but surely only a little won’t hurt?”.
- The groovy dance you get when you find your favourite gluten-free products are on offer in the supermarket…
- …before realising that even on offer you could have got 15 of the gluten-containing equivalents for the same price as one of the gluten-free ones on offer.
Can you relate to any of these?
Please subscribe to keep you in the Coeliac Awareness Week too! 🙂